MSW Course: The Master of Social Work program takes a minimum of two years to complete. Admissions open every year to UGC-approved distance learning institutions across the country. The MSW master’s program is being proposed in various institutions such as Acharya Nagarjuna Univesity, Jain University, Kakatiya University, etc. During a Master of Social Work program, students learn many skills for supporting or helping vulnerable adolescents/ families in urban areas like schools, hospitals, small villages, etc.
Candidates who have completed the BSW degree program from a valid institution can apply to the PG distance degree program of MSW. The four-semester distance program of social work fees varies from institution to institution.
The course was prepared to offer quality education in the following subjects: Philosophy & Social Work, Psychology for Social Work, Social Work Research, Community Work, Social Welfare Management, Poverty & Livelihood, Environment & Disaster Management, etc.
A degree program at MSW offers an opportunity for students to give more solidity to their educational profile. Options for professional points of view emerge in good numbers as well. A Handsome salary package will be given to the new professionals in the associated field of Social Work.
The rest of the MSW program sections such as admission process, fees, entrance test, duration, scope, and colleges/universities have been described further in the article.
MSW Course Highlights
|MSW Full Form||Master of Social Work|
|MSW Duration||2 Years|
|MSW Course Level||Master|
|MSW Entrance Exam||CUET PG, IPUCET, BHU PET & more|
|MSW Modes||Regular, Online & Part-time|
|MSW Course Fee||Rs 20,000 to Rs 1,37,000|
|MSW Top Colleges||Delhi University, IPU, BHU, Aligarh Muslim University|
|MSW Salary in India||INR 5.14 LPA to INR 8.2 LPA|
What is MSW?
MSW is a social science degree that teaches students how to use resources to solve societal problems and assist people in dealing with their pain and problems through group therapy, funding, and other socioeconomic approaches. MSW discusses a wide range of topics related to community work, including human resource development and management, child rights and protection, labour welfare, community development, rural rebuilding, and so on. However, there is still a significant gender gap in India’s social work area. People who work in this profession makeup only 12.5 per cent of the workforce.
MSW Course Details
- The MSW program is available in both traditional and online formats.
- Students can take MSW classes online through networks like Academy Earth, edX, Coursera, and Alison.
- The MSW program has four academic sessions. MSW topics include quantitative social work, labour welfare, social legislation, and social history.
- The top universities for MSW programs are Delhi University, Christ University, and TATA Institute of Social Science.
- The course costs between 20,000 and 2 lakhs rupees. Private universities like Manipal University and Amity University charge between INR 2 and 3 LPA for a 2 years degree program.
- Employed professionals can earn an MSW in two to five years from universities like IGNOU, DU, and YCMOU for around INR 40K.
- Some of the world’s most prestigious universities offer MSW Foreign Classes, including Flinders University and the University of Michigan.
- Those who complete the program can work in human rights, social services, healthcare, etc.
- Interested candidates can now choose to work with regional, national, or global NGOs.
- Human Rights Activist, Program Coordinator, Social Counsellor, Program Manager, Social Activist, Social Worker, etc., are among the positions that require an MSW degree.
All about MSW Course
The Master of Social Work, or MSW, is a very specialized program that gives students in-depth knowledge and understanding of current social structures and socio-cultural management structures. The degree program focuses on survey projects and gives students the experience they need to help people who are less fortunate.
Why Study MSW?
- Here are some of the reasons why getting an MSW degree can lead to a good job.
- A job as a social worker comes with a lot of responsibility and chances to repay the favor to people and the country.
- Learners should have a deeper understanding, be able to practice, be assessed, use rational reasoning to do research, and be able to identify and think about their own identities and the way they interact with their communities and the world around them.
- After they finish the program, they can work for public organizations, like the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, on long-term or short-term contracts in roles like Coordinator, Program Manager, Fieldwork, and more.
Who Should Pursue MSW?
- Aspirants who want to work in the social and humanitarian sectors must pursue.
- Applicants who would like to collaborate as social counsellors must take this program.
- This course is available to executives in charge of ethical business practices at massive corporations.
- Students who want to switch jobs can enrol in this program.
- Folks who want to start one’s possess non-profit organizations can also enrol in the Master’s program in Social Work.
- Bachelor of Social Work or BSW alumni can enrol in this program to improve their career opportunities.
When to pursue MSW?
- Students can begin the MSW program shortly after completing their BSW and other pertinent bachelor’s programs.
- Upon acquiring appropriate knowledge of the social task, aspirants can continue pursuing the classes. It is strongly advised that hopefuls have prior experience with site investigation before enrolling in the MSW program.
- Practitioners can complete the MSW training web-based or via range learning to enhance their experience and competencies.
Types of MSW Course
MSW as an intellectual pursuit is growing very fast in India because it enables candidates to specialize in various disciplines such as healthcare, psychological health, and skills training. To meet the increasing needs, various kinds of MSW classes have indeed been developed to meet the diverse requirements of the aspirants.
Full-Time MSW Course
- The full-time MSW university education is a two-year educational approach that focuses on delivering students the right skills in the evolution of society and wellbeing. It is perhaps the most popular type of MSW program.
- The mean annual fee charged for full-time MSW courses is about INR 20K to INR 2 lacs.
- Enrollments are based on the merit of graduate studies, but certain universities recommend admissions tests. The TISS NET, BHU PET, and other major entry tests.
- Banaras Hindu University, Delhi University, Loyola College, Chennai, Christ University, and other prestigious institutions offer MSW programs.
Part-Time MSW Course
Part-Time MSW courses are now being offered in a great number of institutes. These are aimed at students who are unable to attend full-time classes, and the same eligibility criteria are set for part-time MSW admissions. Of course, every student who applies for this type should pass graduate studies first with a minimum of 50% marks.
- The MSW program takes 2 to 5 years to complete when pursued in online mode.
- The tuition fee is INR 11790 to INR 32400 annually to pursue this course.
- Some famous institutes offering MSW in distance mode are The Global University, Dr.Babasaheb Ambedkar University, IGNOU, and soon.
- Many working adults widely know online MSW programs because they enable them to advance their careers.
MSW Admission Process 2022
The admission process for the MSW course is entirely based on the student’s abilities, which are judged by taking an entrance test. The level of education that students have at the end of high school is also a factor in whether or not they are allowed to go to college.
MSW admission starts with the release of application forms. These forms are available both in person and online at the website of the university where you want to go to school.
Second, there is an entrance exam, and the level of the exams varies. There are some exams that take place all over the country, and most universities in India accept the score of these exams. Others are on a regional or university level, and they help people get into a specific state or university, respectively.
MSW Admission 2022
Admission to MSW Course has started at various universities in India. The course is available in three modes at different institutes; students can select whatever modes suit them. MSW admission will be granted through conventional merit plus entrance test. Students who have completed their graduation in social work or relevant discipline can apply for this course. Some Institutes conduct entrance tests followed by an interview to provide enrollment for MSW course.
Different Universities and testing agencies will organize the entrance exam at a national, University, or state level. After qualifying for any of these entrance exams, usually around for the counselling of students is held, and interviews are also taken.
At the end of the admission process, a final list of selected students is published on the official site of the University.
MSW Course Eligibility Criteria
- BSW degree from an accredited university with an average of 50% aggregate score.
- Aspirants from the scheduled caste are given a 5 per cent of overall reduction in the set level of accumulated score secured.
- Understudies from the Arts, Commerce, science and other fields are indeed qualified for the MSW program if they have a minimal level of a 50 per cent grade point average from a known university or college.
- As previously stated, aspirants must also pass an admissions test.
MSW Entrance Exam 2022
As previously stated, there have been no particular tests for MSW admission; however, universities screen pupils based on their performance in the written examination or talent evaluation form, accompanied by Individual Interviews.
DUET: The National Testing Agency organizes a national-level exam named the Delhi University Entrance Test on behalf of Delhi University once a year. Through this exam, students can take admission to the DU MSW course.
TISS NET: The Tata Institute of Social Science administers the TISS NET entrance exam. TISS NET is an MCQ-type exam that contains queries about a High Level of awareness, Proficiency in the English Language, and other topics. This admissions test has a total of 100 queries and just a timescale of 100 minutes for solving all questions. Applicants in their last semester of BSW can take the exam.
BHU PET: Banaras Hindu University administers the BHU PET exam for getting admission to numerous postgraduate programs, such as social work. Students must have a graduate school level exam minimum score of 50 percent. Aspirants who are taking their last year’s exams can appear in the admissions test. The test has an optimum time limit of 2 hours.
AMU CET: Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) administers a university-level entrance exam named AMU. Like the others, this exam is MCQ-based and assesses pupils’ capacity and rational conceptual understanding. Students who’ve already received a minimal level of 50 per cent in their bachelor’s study exam are qualified to obtain entry for the admissions test. The test has an optimum age restriction of 27 years.
MSW Entrance Exam Syllabus
Almost all the entrance exams conducted for MSW admissions are aptitude-based examinations. However, the syllabus of all levels of exams is the same such that it contains subjects like logical reasoning, general awareness, critical thinking, and proficiency in English. The question paper of every entrance exam usually contains a total number of 100 questions that are MCQ-based. One mark is given for each question, and negative marks are applicable.
MSW Distance Education
MSW Distance Education is provided by a good number of institutes in India. It takes a time period of 2 years for completion, and the duration can also be five years. It depends on the student’s capacity and how much time they give to their studies. This type, of course, is very much beneficial for candidates who are unable to attend the regular classes of full-time studies. The mean MSW tuition cost varies from INR 2 to INR 4 LPA.
Distance MSW Admission Process
The selection criteria for admission to a distance MSW course can vary depending on the institute. MSW, when offered in distance mode, the admissions are usually made on a merit basis. Students will need to submit their academic documents at the time of admission and also a caste certificate.
Diploma holders are also sometimes acceptable for distance MSW admission. However, students need to have marks not less than 50% in any graduate degree.
At the time of admission, students can choose among various specializations for MSW.
MSW Course Syllabus
There is a lot of similarity in the design of the curriculum at most of the best universities. However, the choice of optional topics varies. Exploration and survey training are the best ways to learn, and it gives students a taste of the information that will help them stay involved in social movements and improve their skills with specific cases and real projects. There are a lot of different topics on the MSW course syllabus 2022, like the history of social work, tribal anthropology and social work, poverty reduction, microfinance, micro-businesses, and so on.
MSW Colleges in Delhi
There are various private and public colleges in Delhi where students can pursue MSW courses. Amity University, Gurugram University, Al-Falah University, GBU, MRIIRS, CCS University, VIMT New Delhi, etc. The course fee is INR 20000 to INR 137000 in MSW colleges in Delhi.
MSW Colleges in Mumbai
The few top MSW colleges in Mumbai are Mumbai University, Shreemati Nathibai Damodar Thackersey Women’s University, Amity University, Mumbai, CSMU, TISS, College Of Social Work Nirmala Niketan, etc. For MSW courses in these colleges, the tuition fee is INR 32000 to INR 82000.
MSW Colleges in Bangalore
Bangalore has a lot of top academies that offer MSW courses for a price of between INR 9000 and INR 98000. It has Bengaluru Central University, The Oxford College of Arts, Christ University, St. Joseph’s College, etc.
MSW Colleges in Hyderabad
The Maulana Azad National Urdu University in Hyderabad is the choice of many students for pursuing the MSW degree program. Students can enrol for MSW at this University with an average fee amount of INR 6100. Another well-known college in Hyderabad for pursuing MSW is Roda Mistry College of Social Work and Research Centre, the best institute that provides quality MSW education.
Scope & Career After MSW Course
Students who have successfully completed their MSW degree from well-known institutions can work in various public as well as private sectors. The top job profiles for MSW graduates are:
- Social Worker
- Training Coordinator
- Programme Coordinator