BSW Course: A Bachelor of Social Work is a three-year undergraduate degree program. A UG degree in social work is a great way to begin your career in the human services field. After acquiring the UG degree in the BSW six-semester program, candidates shall allow themselves to work in the various entry-level position associated with the stream.
The degree also draws the curtain comfortably for the admission to MSW program. This three-year UG degree shall offer you an opportunity to work for people who need guidance on serious issues. Candidates will also encounter a larger social context that would contribute to solving such programs.
Basic eligibility for admission to a UG degree of social work (BSW) is 12th from any stream. We shall properly discuss the BSW program eligibility ahead in the article. The approximate or average fee of social work three-year degree program is INR 5900 to 17,900. Deposits are allowed to make offline/online.
The bachelor of social work (BSW) six-semester program is designed to provide learning through three components: foundation courses, elective courses, and practicum. The foundation course includes humanities, & social sciences, science & technology, Bengali, Gujarati, Marathi, Oriya, Punjabi, Urdu, and more. Some other concepts that are required to stud comprise an introduction to study work, social work intervention, introduction to the family education, substance abuse, counselling, etc.
A UG degree in the BSW opens the gate for the learner in the academic, and professional arena. A recently passed learner can boost up the educational profile by picking any of the courses: MSW, MA Extensive Education & Social Work, MA Gandhian Studies, MA Gender & Development Studies, MA Labour & Development, and more.
Candidates can proceed to work in the following professional options i.e., labour welfare specialist, social worker, teacher, lecturer, campaigner, NGO officer, trainee officer, criminology specialist, etc. A beginner in the profession based on a BSW degree can earn between 1.6 to 2.4 LPA.
The admission eligibility, duration, entry process, entrance test, available universities/colleges, etc., are further detailed in the BSW article.
What is BSW?
BSW or Bachelor of Social Work is an undergraduate course with a completion period of 3 years. It is suitable for students who desire to join social development agencies, NGOs, and other public and private sectors at lower or middle levels. The official languages used to teach this course all over India are English and Hindi.
It is beneficial to contestants who aspire to operate in the social welfare field because it enables people to gain professional knowledge and skills to help individuals deal with psychological and emotional issues. Various types of jobs at the higher and lower level are available in this sector where these graduates can be enrolled.
BSW Course Details: An Overview
- BSW is the course abbreviation used for the Bachelor of Social Work.
- The course of BSW is designed for students who want to serve in NGOs, different communities, and other related sectors. It gives them complete knowledge about the development works to be done for society.
- The BSW Course can be chosen in different study modes such as the full-time, part-time, or learning mode. All are now offered in different universities in India.
- BSW degree course consists of three core elements: Foundation Courses, Field Work, and Elective Courses.
- Patna University, Madras Christian College, Amity University, and several other leading BSW institutions in India offer the BSW Curriculum in India. BSW Online is offered at many international universities, including Brandman University, Briar Cliff University, Bemidji State University, California State University, and Brescia University. BSW Program is given by many universities, including IGNOU, Annamalai University, and Karnataka State Open University.
- INR 5900 to 17,900 is the average annual fee for the Bachelor of Social Work program.
- Many sectors in this domain are there in which the students can get employment chances. Those areas include social welfare sectors, social defence, community development, health care, and soon.
- At the entry level, the salary of BSW graduates can be up to INR 2 lacs per year. The salary of people can be even higher with gaining experience in this area.
All about BSW Course
BSW is a bachelor’s degree program specifically designed to teach students about society’s social development and welfare. Depending on traditional people, the program includes social care training and education. It assists the student in developing the necessary perceptions for recognizing a person’s issue-solving initiatives.
When a student opts for getting admission into the BSW course they improve their chances for a career in the social welfare sector. The students who pursue this course are provided with the knowledge and training that makes them capable of leading a life that will be dedicated to improving the level of life structure of the surrounding environment.
Awareness of Social Work is a constant motif in regions such as social progress and public wellness. Upon earning a BSW, pupils can specialize in a range of fields such as healthcare, social services, charitable organization, and volunteer activities, to mention just some. Initially, the yearly pay a pupil can receive after BSW is INR 200000 per year.
Why Study BSW after 12th?
BSW is a good choice for students who want to be experts in their field and help people who need it. However, there are also some other benefits to taking the BSW course, such as:
- BSW is for students who want to help the needy and disadvantaged who know that there is a lot of demand for well-trained social workers all over the country.
- BSW helps students improve their skills and abilities as employees when they help people with different socio-economic problems.
- Having a good understanding of the situation and the research that has been done and the information that has come before helps students do better in the subject.
Who Should Pursue BSW?
Studying in an area needs some specific skills that make you suitable and fit for the field. Here in the case of the BSW degree program, it is also very important to assess yourself for knowing your suitability for this course. Some of the points given below describe it such as:
- Everyone who has completed the education at a level of 10+2 or equivalent is said to be eligible for applying to any university for this course.
- Those candidates interested in the social development program and want to join an NGO and in another private or public sector can pursue this program.
- If any student has the skills like management, leadership, and communication is best suitable because this field needs such skills.
- When moving in a social field, it is very necessary to be active; thus, any student who can move actively to run a social program can join this course.
When to pursue BSW?
The time best suitable for choosing a study program is very important to determine because this will greatly impact your overall career life. Students must be aware that if they cover things at the right time, they will become successful.
When a student completes his 10+2 education is the best suitable time to move ahead for pursuing a BSW degree program. It is also provided that students must have obtained average or more than average marks.
When deciding the right career path, each student has decided to choose BSW as the career path to start learning this course. However, it is said that there are no time limits for studying, but it has some effects on your success.
Modes of BSW Course
BSW is a UG-level course that many academic institutes in India offer. It has now become the fashion of each institute to offer a single course in different modes. The course of BSW is also offered in several learning modes. Some of its learning modes, such as full-time, part-time, and online, are discussed below:
Full-Time BSW Course
The Full-Time BSW program is the most common degree course opted by students. It has a high admission rate as compared to other modes of study. This is because the scope of full-time education is considered to be higher than others. It is suitable for students who have time to spend just on their studies.
The eligibility required to get admission to a full-time BSW course is very simple. A student needs to have a minimum level of 50% marks in the 12th standard. It is further added in the criteria that qualifying the relevant entrance is also very necessary.
Part-Time BSW Course
BSW, when offered in part-time mode, is accessible to a variety of students. Many students are engaged in part-time or even full-time employment, and there may be other reasons that make them unable to take the full-time study program. This type of learning is an easy way to take your classes and spend some of the time working. The eligibility required for the part-time courses is the same as in the case of a full-time course. However, some changes may occur depending on the institute.
Online BSW Course
BSW Online offers a variety of e-learning courses. The majority of colleges that offer BSW Digital degree courses are situated in other nations. As a result, learners keep the option of enrolling in and completing a BSW extent from an international university available on the internet. The course fee of an online course ranges from INR 6000 to 8000 in most Indian institutes. It is offered by universities like IGNOU, TNOU, etc.
BSW Course Admission Process 2022
- Admissions are based on the college or university’s cut-off list. Talent is the only thing that matters in the admissions process. The Entrance Exam is also given by a lot of colleges and universities, like Osmania University.
- Campuses like Amity University also have governance allotments that allow students to get in right away. Because public-sector universities don’t have a budget for governance, it’s not even possible to get into them in a simple way.
- Those who apply for direct entry into the second and third years of the BSW can do so at universities like the Delhi Institute of Professional Studies. It is important to know the rules that apply to each university.
BSW Course Admission 2022
BSW Admission 2022 will be conducted through an online application system from July 2022. There are two categories adopted for students’ admission one is a direct entry, and the other is a lateral entry. Applicants for BSW Corse lateral entry can register straightforwardly into the 2nd or 3rd year of study in any university in India. The management quota will be adopted for providing direct admissions.
For 2022 admissions, candidates will have to confirm the eligibility criteria that a student should have at least 40% marks in the 12th standard. At the end of the procedure, a merit list is issued, and the candidates enlisted in them will be given an interview call.
BSW Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility or selection criteria for students applying to the BSW degree course vary, but the basic things listed in each criterion are quite the same. Below are given the basic eligibility requirements for getting an entry to BSW, such as:
- Applicants must have completed Intermediate and Secondary education (10+2) from an
- equivalent examination in liberal arts and science.
- Aspirants from the SC/ST categories must obtain a minimum of 40 percent in the qualifying board exams. Based on the institution, this ratio may differ.
- Often these admissions are based on talent, so a high school diploma is required to study in a great university.
BSW Lateral Entry
The students who have pursued a diploma-level course get the opportunity for getting admission into the second year or the third year of the course as per the eligibility conditions listed by the respected university. The conditions for the selection of students getting admission in the course is done after the entrance exam conducted by the respected university in the prescribed manner.
BSW Entrance Exam 2022
Various entrance exams are conducted to provide BSW admissions. A few of such entrance exams are discussed as:
- TISSNET: If any student wants to enrol in BSW will have to qualify for this entrance exam. It is conducted each year to provide admissions to various courses, including the BSW program.
- RIE CEE: This is a common entrance exam organized to provide admissions for numerous UG courses like the BSW program. It is held on an annual basis and arranged by the Regional Institute of Education.
Different universities conduct many entrance exams at the institute level.
BSW Entrance Exam Syllabus
The syllabus of the BSW entrance exam is general. Some universities provide the syllabus based on subjects taught in the previous class, and some provide a general syllabus based on aptitude. However, the question paper in all cases contains a total of 100 questions. The marks carried by the BSW entrance exam will be 100. In most cases, negative marking is applicable.
BSW Distance Admission
Admission into the BSW course is offered by the distance education mode for the benefit of students who can’t continue their education via the regular mode due to any reason. Opting for admission via the distance mode in the BSW course benefits an applicant as they get to complete their education and pursue a job alongside.
The biggest advantage for opting to get admission in the distance mode of this course is that the curriculum used in this course is equivalent to what is used in the regular mode therefore the applicant won’t be sacrificing on education.
BSW Admission Process
Acceptance to the BSW learning program is based on a list of merit. The enrolment information for the majority of the colleges is listed below as:
- In their 10+2 years, applicants must have a grade point average of 50% or better.
- A 5% relaxation is awarded to the candidates who come from the SC/ST category.
- The minimum duration for BSW learning can be 3 years, and the maximum could be 5 years.
- Almost INR 6800 to INR 12000 is the average BSW course fee.
BSW Course Syllabus
The BSW syllabus is made up of a lot of different subjects that are changed over the course of 6 semesters. In the last semester of the course, project work is part of the syllabus.
In the BSW syllabus, you’ll learn about Introduction to Social Work, Substance Abuse, the roles of non-profit organizations, Social Problems and Services, Family Education, Approaches to Social Work, and many other things.
Many universities have a wide range of elective courses that you can choose from.
BSW Colleges in Delhi
Delhi has a total number of 14 colleges in which students can apply for BSW admissions. These colleges are IGNOU, Gautam Buddha University, Amity University, SD PG College, and many more. The quality of education] offered by all these colleges is best, and after qualifying from these colleges, students are placed on top positions. The BSW course fee in these colleges may vary from INR 16000 to INR 78000.
BSW Colleges in Mumbai
There are 4 colleges in Mumbai associated with BSW education and are affiliated with UGC and AICTE. The names of these 4 colleges are College of Social Work Nirmala Niketan, Amity University, Mumbai University, and Shreemati Nathibai Damood Arthackersey Women’s University. The course fee in these colleges has a range of INR 30000 to INR 200000.
BSW Colleges in Bangalore
Bangalore is an important study hub after Delhi and Mumbai for BSW education. It has a total number of 4 colleges that are offering BSW courses. These top institutes are St. Josephs Colleges, Acharya Institute of Graduate Studies, Noble Institute of Education Society, and Bangalore University. The BSW course fee is varying ranging from INR 2000 to INR 60000.
BSW Colleges in Hyderabad
Students can find Roda Mistry College of Social Work and Research Center the best institute for getting BSW admission at Hyderabad. This is a private institute and offers the BSW course in full-time study mode. The BSW course offered by this centre is approved by UGC and AICTE.
Scope after BSW Course
The BSW course is an opportunity for the students to develop their skills and career in the social welfare discipline. The students get to look for an advanced career with the help of skills that they get after enrolling on the course.
Students who pass a BSW course get to apply for jobs at various welfare associations, NGOs, rehab centres, health care centres, etc. The average salary amount that an applicant can expect to get on passing this course can be from INR 2.85 LPA to INR 4.25 LPA.