BSc Course: A Bachelor of Science (BSC) program is a three-year course. The six-semester program of this course is designed to teach various concepts of science, technology, and research. Admission to BSC commences every year in two cycles: January, and July. The UG degree program is developed to offer knowledge in the following branches physics, mathematics, chemistry, zoology, home science, statistics, and more. It is the combination of theoretical and practical knowledge of the subject, after completing graduation in the field student can go for a master’s degree in the same relevant field.
The minimum that applicants need to get for the admission to BSC program is 12th from a science or a related stream.
Entrance or non-entrance are the modes for admission to the BSC specialized program. An approximate fee for the course of BSC can be found between INR 11,000 to INR 77,300.
The fee usually differs due to the specializations. Students can deposit the undergraduate science degree program fee via the offered option of the UGC-approved universities that are rooted online/offline. BSC program has been organized to provide learning in the following subjects: communication, real analysis, applied psychology, fundamental programming, research methodology, applied sciences, dynamics, cell biology, etc.
After completing the degree students can strengthen their academic profile or pick a quality professional career. The future academic option for the UG degree holder shall be like MSC, MCA, MBA, Certificate in Data Science, and more.
Professional gates for the BSC passed outs open in the following employment sector: Hospitals, Health Care Providers, Food Institutes, Agriculture Industry, Oil Industry, Space Research Insitute, and more. The average salary for the science-authorized professional is found between 2.2 to 4.9 LPA.
Individuals can learn about the admission process, eligibility, fees, duration, entrance exams, available universities, and much more ahead in the article.
What is BSc Course?
B.Sc is an undergraduate degree in science, a three-year course of study taken by learners who have studied science in high school. The course is essential for learners who want to work in scientific sectors such as healthcare, Information Technology, Pharmaceutical, and manufacturing.
Most of the disciplines covered in the BSc course include physical science, chemistry, economics, agriculture, animation, applied science, mathematics, biology, and horticulture. The syllabus of BSc can vary based on the specialization you choose for study. However, subjects in the first year of each discipline consist of some common basic science subjects.
BSc Course Key Features
- The full form of BSc is Bachelor of Science, an undergraduate degree that takes almost three years to complete. BSc Course admissions are provided across many colleges considering the merit of students and their performance in the relevant entrance exam.
- A minimum of 50% for general candidates and 45% for reserved candidates is the merit criteria. Including CUCET, BHU UET, and NPAT, there are some other BSc entrance exams: KCET, UPSEE, IISER, etc.
- Aside from the standard Bachelor of Science program, pupils can also undertake BSc Hons degrees. Two very different coursework have the same eligibility requirements.
- The fee for BSc can be different such that in public colleges, it is around INR 20000, and in private colleges is around INR 2 LPA.
- For pupils interested in pursuing BSc programs, there are many countless opportunities, including HDFC Educational Crisis Scholarship Support (ECSS), Kishore VaigyanikProtsahanYojana (KVPY), INSPIRE Scholarships, Promotion of Science Education (POSE) Scholarship, and others.
- The scope after completion of a BSc degree is great. Many jobs are related to this where one can make their career, including research associate, statistician, teacher, and many others linked to your chosen speciality.
- A BSc degree holder can expect an annual salary of INR 5 to INR 7 lacs.
- Individuals with a BSc can pursue postgraduate courses such as MBA, MSc, and PhD
Is BSc a Good Course?
BSc degree is an undergraduate degree with a duration of 3 years. A Bachelor of Science degree can offer better employment opportunities to students with valuable skills also and enhance the capability of the student to do research work for the Master’s level. Natural sciences, engineering and technology, business, and biological and life sciences are the distinct academic disciplines of science that offer BSc degree courses.
Why Study BSc after 12th?
There are many causes to pursue a Bachelor of Science degree as a viable career. For your convenience, even some of those are outlined below:
- Given the wide range of specializations accessible with a BSc degree, work opportunities following graduation are many. Pupils with a BSc degree can find employment in various areas like biology, physics, chemistry, natural science, and so on.
- Compared to other fields such as arts and commerce, the median wage bundle obtained after accomplishing a BSc journey is significantly higher. Also, with the progressive advancement of science and technology and modernization, resources for learners with a BSc degree are increasing, making it an effective career choice for pupils.
- Upon accomplishing the BSc journey, understudies can choose to further their learning in almost the same domain, including MSc or PhD, or alter their areas of knowledge and seek an MBA.
Who Should Pursue BSc Course?
Everyone who fulfils the least required eligibility criteria, i.e., candidates who passed their 12th class examinations with at least 50 per cent or comparable CGPA and PCM as one‘s specialist study conjunction from a recognized institution, can continue pursuing a BSc. Apart from that, the requirements for pupils to seek a BSc curriculum are mentioned below:
- Applicants with a huge passion in and the context of Mathematics and Science are strongly motivated to continue a BSc degree.
- Candidates who want to seek multi- and cross-disciplinary scientific professions in the years ahead will benefit greatly from this course.
- Individuals with a BSc can expect to earn a high salary after specializing in a variety of areas.
When to pursue BSc Course?
- BSc studies are typically pursued following the conclusion of Upper Secondary evaluations. Understudies in the Science subjects choose Bachelor’s degree in Science as their university curriculum to acquire an additional in-depth understanding of the topics in the section.
- Pupils who would like to undertake a much more technical level of education take different admission tests to get into B-Tech. In contrast, youngsters who desire to improve their academic knowledge choose for BSc.
- The conventional BSc electives involve biology, chemistry, mathematics, physics, home science, zoology, PCM, and statistics.
- Agriculture, aquaculture, bioinformatics, computer science, electronics, physiotherapy, animation, biochemistry, genetics, fashion technology, multimedia, psychology, and many other subjects are covered in proficient BSc studies.
Modes of BSc Course
BSc courses are in great demand throughout India. For such pupils, various modes of classes have been structured. These involve distance BSc classes, full-time BSc classes, and part-time BSc, classes.
Full-Time BSc Course
Numerous colleges offer a BSc full-time degree program. Its complete on-campus graduate program gives students all the necessary skills and knowledge in a specific flow or topic. Such universities are Delhi University, Calcutta University, Miranda House, Kirori Mal, and other colleges.
The full-time BSc is offered in a wide range of specializations which means students can become specialists in their favourite science subject. The popular subjects one can choose to seek a BSc degree as IT, Biology, Computer Science, Chemistry, Physics, Natural Science, Maths, and many others.
Part-Time BSc Course
Part-time degrees allow you to complete your degree program on your schedule. Various institutions offer part-time BSc programs in addition to full-time BSc courses. The part-time BSc degree can be pursued at Jawaharlal Nehru University, Jamia Millia Islamia, etc.
Online BSc Course
Online BSc is designed for students living away from main study campuses and who lack access to other educational facilities. BSc via online classes is provided by institutes like IGNOU, Uttarakhand Open University, TNOU, etc.
BSc Course Admission Process 2022
- Admission to BSc studies is framed in terms of qualifications and also entrance examination. The two protocols are covered in depth below for one’s convenience:
- In the months of May and June every year, the application forms for admission are made available.
- The leading colleges have affiliations to Delhi University, such as Hindu College, Miranda House, and others offer admissions for BSc based on the previous qualification. These colleges consider students’ marks secured in the 12th standard or equivalent.
- Some universities also give entrance exam-based admissions. These include Orrisa University of Agriculture and Technology, IISER, Aligarh Muslim University, and others. Shortlisting of candidates will be done after the entrance exam, and those selected will be called for interviews and counselling.
The application will be announced soon in an online as well as offline manner of application. Students will download the applications from the online webpage of the respected university. All the information and documents will be uploaded to the online system. A counselling round always follows these tests at all levels, and qualified candidates are called for it.
BSc Course Eligibility Criteria
- You must have a minimum of a 50% grade point average in 12th grade to be eligible for basic BSc courses. A few prestigious academic institutions require a minimum of 60 per cent.
- Candidates should have completed required courses such as math, physics, biology, and chemistry at the high school level.
- In India, the age requirement for entry to a BSc program is eighteen years.
BSc Entrance Exam 2022
Entrance exams are used to determine BSc admission. Throughout India, numerous national, province, and institutional level admission exams are held. The below information contains a few of the details about leading BSc entry exams in India.
- JET: It is an entrance exam conducted by Jain University to provide various UG and PG admissions to numerous courses such as BSc. JET is conducted in both the online and offline method]. Students are given 3 hours to solve the paper.
- NPAT: The National Placement Assessment Test (NPAT) is a nationwide entry exam for admittance to UG and Assimilated degree courses. NarseeMonjee University administers the admissions test. The assessment is given entirely online and will last two hours.
- CUCET: Central Universities Common Entrance Tests (CUCET) is a countrywide test administered collectively by 10 central universities. This exam is used to determine central universities’ enrollment for all subject areas such as UG, PG, and many others. The test is given in a paper-and-pencil format. This test lasts two hours and comes with multiple queries.
- SUAT: SUAT is held each year specifically for entry to Sharda University’s different programs. In addition to BSc, it is also conducted for admissions to various other courses such as B-Tech, BA, BCA, MBA, MCA, etc. This entrance exam is based on an online system that is one can attain this test at home.
BSc Entrance Exam Syllabus
Entrance to a BSc degree program chosen in any specialization is based on the entrance exam in most cases. Various universities conduct the tests, but all follow a general syllabus. Generally, the subjects included in the entrance exam of BSc are Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics, and Computer Science. The English component of the entrance test also assesses candidates’ grasp of the English language. It is to be notified that each section of the entrance exam carries equal marks. The distribution of marks is sometimes 1 for each right answer or sometimes 4 for each right answer.
BSc Distance Education
BSc Distance Education academic institutions give the possibility of earning this degree while working. It is perhaps the most adaptable type of degree program. In India, universities such as IGNOU, Karnataka State Open University, the University of Mumbai, Annamalai University, and Osmania University offer Distance BSc programs.
Distance BSc Admission Process
BSc distance learning is a prevalent place for individuals who would like to work and learn simultaneously. Academic institutions in India that provide distance BSc programs include Uttarakhand Open University, Karnataka State Open University, Jaipur National University, IGNOU New Delhi, Andhra University, and many others.
The cost of BSc distance courses is a fee of INR 11,000 to INR 77,300. Entrance exams are not included in the criteria of distance admissions, and merit is focused. The age limit is not fixed for BSc distance admissions, and mostly the selection criteria are the same as in the case of other BSc courses.
BSc Course Syllabus
This program aims to provide both practical and theoretical knowledge in subjects such as mathematics, biology, physics, computer science, chemistry, and so on. There is a wind range of specializations, and one can choose to pursue a BSc degree. These include physics, natural science, chemistry, IT, agriculture, nursing, biotechnology, etc. Subjects are different as per the chosen specialization, such as chemistry learners in industrial chemistry, green chemistry, polymer chemistry, energy & fuel cells, etc. Some subjects related to mathematics are analysis, algebra, calculus, vector analysis, probability theory, and soon.
BSc Colleges in Delhi
Delhi has a total of 284 colleges where BSc education is offered. These include 188 private BSc colleges, and 92 are public BSc colleges. The leading institutes in Delhi providing BSc courses are St. Stephens College, Hindu College, GD Goenka University, Lady Shri Ram College for Women, KR Mangalam University, and Miranda House. The average course fee here ranges from INR 19000 to INR 105000 per year.
BSc Colleges in Mumbai
Almost 120 colleges in Mumbai are associated with the BSc courses. There are 92 private colleges and 27 public colleges offering BSc courses. Among these 120, some are named St. Xaviers College, DG Ruparel College of Arts Science & Commerce, Mithibai College, Jai Hind College, KishinchandChillaram College, and soon. The BSc course in these mentioned colleges ranges from INR 7000 to INR 50000.
BSc Colleges in Bangalore
As per the NIRF ranking, the top BSc colleges are Kristu Jayanti College, St. Josephs College, Jain University, Christ University, Mount Carmel College, and The Oxford College of Science. Besides these colleges, Bangalore has almost 140 BSc degree colleges. Out of these, 112 are private, and 24 are public-owned colleges that offer BSc education. BSc course fee here ranges from INR 20000 to INR 120000.
BSc Colleges in Hyderabad
In Hyderabad, about 70 colleges are offering education via a BSc degree. The figure of 70 includes 58 private colleges and 12 public BSc colleges. Hyderabad’s leading BSc colleges are AV College Arts Science and Commerce, Osmania University College for Women, DR. BR AmbedkarOpen University, and others. The amount fee ranges from INR 2000 to INR 102000 in the colleges of Hyderabad.