PhD Course: Doctorate of Philosophy or PhD degree program duration is from 3 years to 6 years. PhD course is the highest level of educational qualification offered in a particular stream. The full form of a PhD is “Doctor of Philosophy.” The learners can opt for PhD programs in arts, humanities, commerce, science, management, law, and other streams. A degree at the PhD level will help students to gain a profession in the associated background.PhD is also known as Doctorate of Philosophy, and It is a doctoral-level degree. The Ph.D. course takes three years to complete the course. The maximum time limit to complete the programme is about 5 to 6 years. Students need to know that the duration may vary from institute to institute. One must hold a Master’s level degree in order to be eligible for the PhD Course.
Latest Updates PhD Course
Aspiring Students – PHD Course 2024-25 is Calling! Latest Update
PHD course is more than simply a course—it’s a journey that integrates into your job and daily life and connects you to a thriving online community of students and industry experts.
- IMTS Institute’s 2024-25 PHD session is open till February 12, 2024. Imagine the excitement of this flexible academic journey, expanding your horizons with like-minded individuals.. Apply Here
- Shir Krishna University’s PHD program, welcoming applications until February 12, 2024. Here, commitment to excellence and cutting-edge approaches sets the stage for your research journey. Apply Here
- NIILM University is a transformative journey guided by seasoned pros, and applications are open until February 28, 2024. It’s not just education; it’s a profound exploration of your chosen field. Apply Here
- WC University: Be the positive force communities need with the PHD program at WC University, accepting applications until February 21, 2024. Apply Here
Eligibility Criteria: In order to secure PhD course admission at prestigious universities or colleges, applicants must have completed a master’s degree in the relevant field or discipline. The essential eligibility criteria for PhD course requirements are within the range of 50% to 60% equivalent marks in the last qualifying examination to become eligible for admission for the 2023 session.
Course Fee: The fee of the PhD degree program is different as per the specialization/field. Students would see the difference in fees from Rs 80,000 to Rs 1,20,000 annually for the PhD degree program at private, central, and other universities.
Entrance Exam: In the PhD course (doctoral level), entrance tests play an important role. Some popular entrance exams are CSIR-NET, UGC-NET, and DBT-JRF.
PhD programs have a course-by-course syllabus for entrance exams and traditional learning. The program syllabus has units. Theory, practical, viva, etc., are taught in courses. The program teaches students research methodology, tools, formulation, literature review, and more.
|BA Course||MA Course|
|BBA Course||MBA Course|
|B.Sc Course||M.Sc Course|
|B.Com Course||M.Com Course|
|BCA Course||MCA Course|
|BSW Course||MSW Course|
|BAF Course||BBM Course|
|B.Tech Course||MSC IT Course|
|BEd Course||PhD Course|
After passing the Doctoral or PhD degree from a distance or regular institution in India, candidates shall have a tremendous opportunity to either remain in academia or
Find work in well-honored organizations. Those who wish to continue their academic life can pick any of the options given, such as Post-Doctorate, Faculty Member, Adjunct Position, academic teaching, and more.
More wide professional options are open for the candidates in the following manner: Entrepreneur, Consultant, Digital Marketing Specialist, Research Associate, etc. The average salary of the professional in the mentioned job profiles can be seen between 7.14 to 14.2 LPA.
Students can learn about the Doctorate level degree program with the following points, such as admission, fee, entrance test, duration, universities/colleges, and much more, by reading the article thoroughly.
So, As we have already discussed, here is a brief introduction to the Ph.D. course, including Fees, full form, Salary, Duration, Eligibility, and many more. We hope that helps you and for those who are not satisfied yet. What they can do is read the following sections. We have focused on each critical point so that no one finds it difficult to know about the programme.
PhD Course Highlights
|PhD Full Form||Doctor of Philosophy|
|Duration of PhD Course||3 to 6 Years|
|Course Level||Doctorate Degree|
|Top PhD Entrance Exam||CSIR-NET, UGC-NET, DBT-JRF|
|Doctoral Course Fees||INR 80,000 to INR 1,20,000 per year|
|Top Colleges for PhD Courses||Delhi University, IPU, BHU, AMU, JNU, 100+ Universities|
|Salary After PhD in India||INR 7.14 LPA to INR 14.2 LPA|
PhD Course Details
PhD course’s minimum duration is 3 years, and its maximum duration is 6 years. We outline the details of PhD courses in the following section, including their duration, eligibility criteria, and more.
- PhD stands for Doctor of Philosophy.
- In fact, a PhD is a research doctorate. In general, a Doctor of Philosophy curriculum lasts three years, although a student can complete it as quickly as six years.
- The University Grants Commission (UGC) defines the framework for PhD courses in India.
- An MPhil or post-graduate degree and a valid percentage of 50% are prerequisites for a doctoral degree.
- The GATE scoring rate is essential for candidates who wish to pursue a PhD in Technology and Engineering.
- The length of the doctorate is also affected by several factors, such as knowledge of the research area, supervisory knowledge, communication skills, the number of review courses, access to resources, research experience, and the significance of the research.
- A large number of Ph.D. scholarships are offered in the country to support learners in pursuing their PhD Course goals.
- For a PhD program, you must complete university courses, submit status reports, a synopsis or research proposal, give a pre-submission presentation, and then defend the dissertation in a verbal discussion environment.
- Upon winning a doctoral degree, students may choose from a variety of Doctor of Philosophy employment options and earn between INR 7.12 to INR 14.2 LPA.
What is PhD course?
The Doctor of Philosophy or PhD is concerned with research activities on a particular topic. PhD programmes are present in 3 modes: full-time, part-time, and web-based.
We don’t have to be confused by the name “Philosophy” because it has nothing to do with the particular topic of philosophy. And the meaning of the word “philosophy” is “Lover of Wisdom”, which is taken from the Greek language.
The primary mission is to strengthen the line of work while introducing innovative theories and concepts. PhD courses concentrate on obtaining maximum educational performance and conducting research studies. The PhD program lasts three years and, therefore, can be lengthened. A student typically accomplishes their Doctor of Philosophy in 3 to 6 years.
Why Study a PhD Course?
PhD is also known as “Doctor of Philosophy,” the minimum duration of the PhD course is three years, and the maximum duration of this course is six years. If we talk about the eligibility criteria, students must have a Master’s degree with good marks from an authorized university or institution. By enrolling in a Ph.D. course, the students get engaged with an environment and atmosphere where they will get to elaborate and learn in brief about a certain discipline.
There are several specializations available in the PhD program. It is possible for students to choose this course according to their interests. PhD degrees are the highest degrees in education with the most knowledge, skills, and experience. Postgraduate students can choose a PhD degree as an encouraging and solid career choice.
In their course curriculum, PhD students will get the opportunity to make a prosperous career in the field they choose as best for them. Since the doctorate course is considered the highest level of degree that a student can achieve in their career, students will get lots of opportunities to get involved in a job prospect that will help them in bringing a positive change to a task.
Advantages of pursuing PhD course
- Aspirants who would like to work in academic or scientific studies must undertake a Doctor of Philosophy degree.
- By opting for the PhD course, students will get the opportunity to chase their passion and change the way others look at it. They will get their mindset and skills ready for the challenges that they need to face during their professional career.
- To determine if you are eligible to seek a PhD. Course, the person should engage in deep conversations with teachers and previous PhD scholars who can provide good advice.
- It is imperative that students investigate various Doctor of Philosophy projects so that they can gain an understanding of what their Doctor of Philosophy degree will entail. Once students have mastered the entire system, they will pursue a Doctor of Philosophy degree.
When to pursue a PhD Course?
- When a student completes their master’s degree education, such students can start pursuing a PhD course.
- A PhD degree must be chosen by students when they decide on a particular topic on which they will start research. For this purpose, they must have the right skills to be utilized at every stage of the PhD program.
- Students, while enrolling in a PhD program, must check their capabilities and whether they are interested in moving to the research area or not, and this will be a time when you take an essential decision.
Types of PhD Courses
In India, Students have multiple options to pursue PhD courses through two modes, such as Full-time PhD and part-time PhD. In the next section, we have given complete details about the types of PhD courses.
Full-Time PhD Course
A Full-Time PhD program is a standard Doctor of Philosophy course. The timeframe of such PhD studies varies from 3 to 6 years, and candidates devote most of their concentration and memory to PhD areas of study.
As opposed to other kinds of Doctoral courses, the fee of a full-time PhD program is the maximum. There are three kinds of PhD candidates aspiring to pursue a Full-Time Doctor of Philosophy. Public Support group Beneficiaries, Scholars like Academic Researchers with Instructional Guidance, and Conscience Aspirants are the 3 kinds of Doctor of Philosophy researchers.
Part-Time PhD Course
PhD courses can often be completed part-time. Part-time PhD are usually committed to aspirants who collaborate in reputable research groups, education institutions, and sectors near the university.
Trending Online Courses in India 2023
|Online BA||Online MA|
|Online BBA||Online MBA|
|Online BCA||Online MCA|
|Online BSC||Online MCOM|
|Online BCOM||Online Diploma|
Part-time PhD candidates must submit a similar range of educational certificates and other prerequisites as regular students, so it takes 3 to 6 years to finish a doctoral degree.
Individuals pursuing a Part-Time Doctorate would be obliged to visit a restricted amount of sessions. Doctorate candidates pursuing a part-time Doctoral should have a minimum of one year of a professional career and a letter of recommendation from their organization.
Part-time PhD courses are primarily concerned with studies for the advancement of the corporation instead of independent research projects.
PhD Admission 2023
PhD course admission has started at many leading PhD institutes in India. Entrance exams such as UGC NET, GPAT, CSIR NET, and others may be required; however, some universities admit doctoral students based solely on qualifications and individual interviews.
To be able to enrol in the PhD program for the academic year 2023, students must have a total of 50% equivalent grade or comparable grade point average rating in their master’s program. Also, students need to appear for an interview or formative assessments; institutes prepare merit lists after several rounds.
PhD Admission Process 2023
Admission to PhD Courses is now accessible at numerous IIT and IIM colleges in India. Students interested in pursuing a Doctor of Philosophy in Management at one of India’s IIMs should sign up by January 2023. Numerous IITs in India accept applications for Routine Doctor of Philosophy, Exterior Doctorate, Direct, and Section PhD initiatives, including IIT Ropar, which has an application deadline of November of every year.
- Acceptance to Doctoral programs is merit-based and an entry test assessment procedure. The enrolment for both classes, as well as the fundamental entry requirements, is described below.
- PhD Course admittance to leading universities is on a performance basis.
- The academy could request that applicants offer an overview of their proposed study for this purpose.
- This is completed primarily to analyze the applicants, and the successful applicants are alerted at the final step.
- In addition, the applicants must satisfy the minimum enrolment requirement of 50 to 60% in the Post-graduate class.
- Institutional and national entry point exams are held to acknowledge PhD programs.
- For enrolment in Doctoral programs, a few universities sometimes hold individual interviews in addition to admission tests.
PhD Course Eligibility Criteria
Students who are seeking admission to the PhD course must fulfil the institution’s eligibility requirements. There are different eligibility requirements for this course that vary from university to university. Below, students can take a look and know whether they are eligible or not.
- To opt PhD courses, students must have completed a postgraduate degree or M.Phil degree.
- Applicants should have a minimum of 50% to 60% of their PG instructional points or test scores from a reputed institute.
- Aspirants with relevant experience in research are valued highly by academic institutions.
PhD Entrance Exam 2023
PhD admittance is based on enrolment in several institutions, and academic institutions respect the result of a nationwide or university entry exam. The details about some important PhD entrance exams are given:
- UGC NET: The UGC NET exam is a national-level exam conducted by the UGC for PhD admission, and students who clear their exam get the opportunity to pursue a PhD course at a recognized institution. This exam is conducted by the NA at the national level and is considered the criteria for admission by multiple institutions.
- VIT MEE: The Vellore Institute of Technology Master’s Entrance Examination (VITMEE) is an educational establishment aptitude test for admittance to integrated PhD courses and other PG programs such as M-Tech and MCA. The Vellore Institute of Science and Technology is held once a year and is primarily for enrollment in VIT establishments. The time allotted to students is 2 hours, and the exam mode is online.
- GPAT: Graduate Pharmacy Aptitude Test or GPAT is an annual nationwide aptitude test for enrolment to masters in Pharmacy and other comparable coursework such as Incorporated PhD. The National Testing Agency administers the GPAT (NTA). This test is given entirely web-based, and the assessment lasts 180 minutes and is worth 500 points.
PhD Entrance Exam Syllabus
PhD course entrance test syllabus consists of common topics from class 10+2, graduation and postgraduation level. These topics are based on general aptitude, life sciences, science, Mathematics and language such as Hindi or English. PhD entrance exam syllabus is further classified into domain-specific subjects which are based on PhD specializations in which students want admission.
Best PhD Colleges In India
Candidates who are considering getting admission for the doctoral level programmes and not sure of the best colleges in India. They can follow the provided table where we cited the top colleges for the PhD Course.
|S.NO||Top colleges for PhD|
Manipal Institute of Technology, Manipal
|5||University of Calcutta|
Amrita University, Coimbatore
|10||Aligarh Muslim University|
PhD Course Syllabus
Each PhD field and thread has its own topics and themes in the Doctorate Curriculum. With a strong emphasis on academic concepts, the Ph.D. Curriculum topics focus on investigations and relevant applications of the topic. The syllabus covers required courses and electives, as well as research tasks and scientific studies, which are presented after the Doctorate class ends.
Generally, the curriculum lasts three years, but it can take up to six years to complete. Doctorate programs are determined by the universities and colleges that can provide the classes. Among the areas of study available to students are science, arts, commerce, technology, etc.
PhD Course After BTech
Students can choose PhD degree after completing their master’s in relevant subjects. BTech is an undergraduate degree of 4 years duration. Students need an MTech degree to pursue a PhD in the relevant subject. Students can pursue full-time or part-time PhD according to their ease. An Integrated BTech degree provides a chance to pursue PhD courses.
PhD Course in India
In India, there are various colleges/universities that provide PhD courses to eligible students based on their performance in several entrance tests. The specialization of PhD degrees is wide including Physics, Chemistry, Botany, Education, Economics, Political Science, & more. It is mandatory for students to first appear for the research-level entrance test. Also, it depends upon the institutes providing the research education that there might be additional selection stages like Interview Round & Viva voce. Popular PhD course specializations in India are
PhD in Humanities
PhD in Social Work
PhD in Genetic Engineering
|PhD in English|
PhD in Civil Engineering
PhD in Clinical Research
PhD in Chemistry
|PhD in Science|
PhD in Social Sciences
PhD in Physics
PhD in Engineering
|PhD in Zoology|
Phd in Mathematics
PhD in Commerce Management
PhD in Education
PhD in Management
PhD in Aviation Management
|PhD in Law|
PhD Course Specializations
A Ph.D., or Doctoral degree program, has dozens of specializations that belong to the fields of science, arts and humanities, management, commerce, business, journalism, etc. Some of the most alluring options for PhD specializations are shared in the upcoming pointers.
- PhD in English
- PhD in Computer Science
- PhD in Business Administration
- PhD in Chemistry
PhD in English:
The doctoral degree program in English is responsible for permitting students to explore and obtain critical reading, thinking, and writing skills to experience research-based education for various Eras of English Literature.
The course fee can be seen from 15,000 Indian rupees to 75,000 Indian rupees per year. The course can be applied and studied at Christ University, Lovely Professional University, Manav Rachna University, etc.
PhD in Artificial Intelligence:
A PhD in Artificial Intelligence offers an unparalleled opportunity for students to find deep into this dynamic field, pushing the boundaries of human understanding and technological capabilities. The course includes Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing, & more. Students must complete a Master’s degree in artificial intelligence in order to apply for a PhD in AI.
PhD in Computer Science:
The Ph.D. degree program in Computer Science aids students in obtaining research-oriented experience in computer networks, advanced algorithms for graphs, database systems, computer vision, etc.
The program in computer science is accessible at IIT Hyderabad, Chandigarh University, and so forth. The doctoral degree program’s one-year fee can be approximately found of INR 14,000 to INR 67,000.
PhD in Business Administration:
The doctoral-level business administration program allows students to conduct research and study in areas such as financial accounting management, human resource management, entrepreneurship and social impact, and others.
The PhD degree program in Business Administration can be followed for education at NMMIMS, Jawaharlal Nehru University, SP Jain University, etc. The annual fees for the business administration research degree program range from 13,400 to 71,000 Indian rupees.
PhD in Chemistry: Those who get admission to the Ph.D. in Chemistry program receive a chance for research-based education in statistical thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, scientific communication of chemistry, and so on.
The course can be sought at Shiva Nadar University, GD Goenka University, Chandigarh University, Lovely Professional University, etc. The fee for the Ph.D. degree program in Chemistry is 13,500 Indian rupees to INR 59,200 per year.
Top Government Colleges for PhD Course
Whenever students are planning to apply for the PhD Course, they go through the various factors such as trust, fees, location, scholarship, etc. Below, students can check out the top Government Colleges for the PhD Course.
- Calcutta University
- Aligarh Muslim University (BHU)
- Galgotias University
- Lucknow University, Lucknow
- Banaras Hindu University (BHU)
- Jamia Millia Islamia (JMI)
- National Law University, Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)
- Delhi Technological University, Delhi
- Allahabad University (AU)
- Delhi University
Best PhD Colleges in Delhi
In Delhi, there are multiple academic colleges or universities where PhD courses are taught In this list of top institutes, some are public and some are private, so the fees differ accordingly. Some of the recommended institutes are:
- Jawahar Lal Nehru University
- Jamia Millia Islamia
- Amity Noida
- Indian Institute of Technology
- Galgotias University
- Indian Institute of Foreign Trade
- Faculty of Management Studies
- Netaji Subhas Institute of Technology
Best PhD Colleges in UP
Uttar Pradesh is the choice of thousands of students for pursuing their higher education such as Doctor of Philosophy. Students can get admitted to various colleges in UP for this purpose. There are more than 39 colleges that offer PhD courses with many specializations. These top PhD colleges in Uttar Pradesh include:
- Mangalayatan University
- Amity University Lucknow
- Aligarh Muslim University
- Banaras Hindu University
- University of Allahabad
- University of Lucknow
- Indian Institute of Technology
- Babu Banarasi Das University
- Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University
Best PhD Colleges in Haryana
There are many colleges in Haryana for doctoral degree programs. Some of the top colleges, universities, or institutions are marked below: Central University of Haryana (Mahendregarh), Maharshi Dayanand University (Rohtak), SRM University (Sonepat), Lingaya’s Vidyapeeth (Faridabad), NIILM University (Kaithal) & Amity University (Gurgaon).
Best PhD Colleges in Punjab
In Punjab, there are also a number of colleges that offer PhD programs. The online application process for these universities can be found on their websites. Final candidate selection is based on NET JRF-like entrance tests. The most notable PhD Colleges in Punjab are:
- Khalsa College
- Central University of Punjab
- DAV University
- Punjabi University
- Chandigarh University
- Chitkara University
- Desh Bhagat University
- Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law
- Punjab Engineering College
- Post Graduate Government College
- Dr B R Ambedkar National Institute of Technology
- Punjab Agricultural University
- Guru Nanak Dev Engineering College
Best PhD Colleges in Hyderabad
In Hyderabad, students can find many academic institutes where they can take admission for PhD courses. There exist private and public institutes, and the tuition fee is thus varying. A few top PhD colleges in Hyderabad are IIT Hyderabad, University of Hyderabad, Manipal University, NLU Hyderabad, Osmania University, KIMS, MNIT, Maulana Azad National Urdu University Hyderabad, and soon.
Admission to PhD degree at any institute in Hyderabad will be based on the the admission guidelines issued by the institute/university. Students must read the admission guidelines through the official website before applying for admission. The eligibility criteria is also required to be completed by interested students.
Scope After PhD Course
The doctoral degree is itself considered a huge achievement, as not all—not even in India—go this far and earn the badge of this top-level degree program.
However those who spend their quality time in the research degree program give themselves a sufficient chance for job opportunities in the employment arena based on academic, industrial, self-start-up, etc. We will learn about each of them in the upcoming pointers below.
- Academic Career: The degree holder of a PhD in India may pursue academic career options such as professor, researcher, or lecturer. The doctoral degree holders are eligible for postdoctoral positions such as assistant professorships, guest professors, and so on.
- Industry Jobs: The doctoral degree program does not retreat the possibility of entering industry-based jobs. Candidates who have passed the PhD degree program can apply for the subject specialist role at esteemed companies or organizations.
- Start-Ups: The research degree program holder can also start their own business in their subjective field. Their in-depth knowledge of the subject would help them thrive in the modern world.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) of PhD Course
Question: What is the qualification of PhD?
Answer: The minimum qualification to pursue a PhD course is, that applicants must have a 2-year master’s degree or Mphiil from an approved university.
Question: Is the NET exam compulsory for PhD?
Answer: No, Net is not compulsory for a PhD course in India. There are many universities that offer this programme solely depending on the applicant’s marks in the previous qualification and interviews.