PhD Course: The full form of a PhD is “Doctor of Philosophy.” The PhD or Doctoral level degree program duration is from 3 years to 6 years. PhD is the highest level of degree program offered in a particular stream. The learners can opt for PhD programs in arts, humanities, commerce, science, management, law, and other streams. A degree at the PhD level will help students to gain a profession in the associated background.
If we talk about getting admission into a PhD course, candidates must have completed a master’s degree from a UGC-approved university or institution. In the PhD course (doctoral level), entrance tests play an important role. And for the upcoming section, we have provided the list of entrance exams.
PhD programs have course-by-course syllabi for entrance exams and traditional learning. The program syllabus has units. Theory, practical, viva, etc. are taught in courses. The program teaches students research methodology, tools, formulation, literature review, and more.
After passing the Doctoral or PhD degree from a distance or regular institution in India candidates shall have a tremendous opportunity to either remain in academia or
Find work in well-honored organizations. Those who wish to continue their academic life can pick any of the options given such as Post-Doctorate, Faculty Member, Adjunct Position, Academia Teaching, and more.
More wide professional options are open for the candidates in the following manner: Entrepreneur, Consultant, Digital Marketing Specialist, Research Associate, etc. The average salary of the professional in the mentioned job profiles can be seen between 7.14 to 14.2 LPA.
Students can learn about the Doctorate level degree program with the following points will cover such as admission, fee, entrance test, duration, universities/colleges, and much more, by reading the article completely.
PhD Course Highlights
|PhD Full Form||Doctor of Philosophy|
|PhD Duration||3 to 6 Years|
|PhD Course Level||Doctorate|
|PhD Entrance Exam||CSIR-NET, UGC-NET, DBT-JRF|
|PhD Modes||Regular, Online & Part-time|
|PhD Course Fees||Rs 16,000 to Rs 26,000 per year|
|PhD Top Colleges||Delhi University, IPU, BHU, Aligarh Muslim University|
|PhD Salary in India||INR 7.14 LPA to INR 14.2 LPA|
PhD Course Details
The minimum duration of a PhD course is three years, and the maximum duration of this course is six years. Below, we have provided a brief overview of PhD course details, such as the full form of the course, duration, eligibility criteria, and much more.
- A doctor of Philosophy is the full form of a PhD.
- A PhD degree is indeed a research doctorate. Throughout all, a Doctor of Philosophy curriculum lasts three years, with such a pupil having the option of finishing it in as little as five years.
- Several more things affect the length of the doctorate, including the understanding of the research zone, supervisor knowledge, communication skills, the number of review courses, access to resources, research experience, and the significance of this research.
- There is numerous Doctor of philosophy Scholarships awarded in the country that support learners in pursuing their PhD Course aims.
- The procedures or requirements for obtaining a Doctor Of philosophy are PhD. Degree prerequisites. This varies from country to country, and the University Grants Commission (UGC) defines the framework for the PhD course in India.
- Doctoral degree prerequisites include a post-graduate degree or an MPhil and a valid percentage of 55%.
- Completing university courses, submitting status reports, a synopsis or research proposal, giving a pre-submission demonstration, and then defending the dissertation inside a verbal discussing environment are prerequisites for a PhD program.
- For seeking a PhD degree in Technology and Engineering, a candidate should have a legitimate GATE scoring rate.
- Following the completion of one’s Doctoral degrees, pupils might select among a variety of Doctor of philosophy Employment and make a minimum income of INR 6 to INR 9 LPA.
- The Doctorate of Philosophy programs last 3 years and can last up to 6 years based on the context.
What is PhD course?
The Doctor of Philosophy or PhD is concerned with research activities on a particular topic. PhD programmes are present in 3 modes: full-time, part-time, and web-based.
The PhD full form is a doctor of Philosophy. And we don’t have to be confused by the name “Philosophy,” because it has nothing to do with the particular topic of philosophy. And the meaning of the word “philosophy” is “Lover of Wisdom”, which is taken from the Greek language.
The primary mission is to strengthen the line of work whereas introducing innovative theories and concepts. PhD courses concentrate on obtaining maximum educational performance and conducting research studies. The PhD program lasts three years and, therefore, can be lengthened. A student typically accomplishes their Doctor of Philosophy in 5 to 6 years.
Why Study PhD Course?
PhD is also known as “Doctor of Philosophy,” the minimum duration of the PhD course is three years, and the maximum duration of this course is six years. And if we talk about the eligibility criteria, students must have a Master’s degree with good marks from an authorized university or institution. By enrolling in a PhD course, the students get engaged with an environment and atmosphere where they will get to elaborate and learn in brief about a certain discipline.
There are several specializations available in the PhD program. It is possible for students to choose this course according to their interests. PhD degrees are the highest degrees in education with the most knowledge, skills, and experience. Postgraduate students can choose a PhD degree as an encouraging and solid career choice.
In their course curriculum, PhD students will get the opportunity to make a prosperous career in the field they choose as best for them. Since the doctorate course is considered the highest level of degree that a student can achieve in their career, students will get lots of opportunities to get involved in a job prospect that will help them in bringing a positive change to a task.
Advantages of pursuing PhD course?
- Aspirants who would like to work in academic or scientific studies must undertake a Doctor of Philosophy degree.
- By opting for the PhD course, students will get the opportunity to chase their passion and change the way others look at it. They will get their mindset and skills ready for the challenges that they need to face during their professional career.
- To determine if you are eligible to seek a PhD. Course, the person should engage in deep conversations with teachers and previous PhD scholars who can provide good advice.
- Students must research various Doctor of Philosophy projects to gain a reasonable overview of what Doctor of Philosophy degree courses consists of. Just after students have grasped the entire system, they plan to continue a Doctor of Philosophy.
When to pursue a PhD Course?
- When a student completes their master’s degree education, such students can start pursuing a PhD course.
- A PhD degree must be chosen by students when they decide on a particular topic on which they will start research. For this purpose, they must have the right skills to be utilized at every stage of the PhD program.
- Students, while enrolling in a PhD program, must check their capabilities and whether they are interested in moving to the research area or not, and this will be a time when you take an essential decision.
Types of PhD Course
In India, Students have multiple options that they can pursue PhD courses through three modes, such as Full-time PhD, online PhD, and part-time PhD. In the next section, we have given complete details about the types of PhD courses.
Full-Time PhD Course
A Full-Time PhD program is a standard Doctor of Philosophy course. The timeframe of such PhD studies varies from 4 to 6 years, and candidates devote most of their concentration and memory to PhD areas of study.
As opposed to other kinds of Doctoral courses, the fee of a full-time PhD program is the maximum. There are three kinds of PhD candidates aspiring to pursue a Full-Time Doctor of Philosophy. Public Support group Beneficiaries, Scholars like Academic Researchers with Instructional Guidance, and Conscience Aspirants are the 3 kinds of Doctor of philosophy researchers.
Part-Time PhD Course
PhD courses can often be completed part-time. Part-time PhD are usually committed to aspirants who collaborate in reputable research groups, education institutions, and sectors near the university.
Part-time PhD candidates must submit a similar range of educational certificates and other prerequisites as regular students, so it takes 7 to 8 years to finish a doctoral degree.
Individuals pursuing a Part-Time Doctorate would be obliged to visit a restricted amount of sessions. Doctorate candidates pursuing a part-time Doctoral should have a minimum of one year of a professional career and a letter of recommendation from their organization.
Part-time PhD courses are primarily concerned with studies for the advancement of the corporation instead of independent research projects.
Online PhD Course
At the moment, web-based PhD courses are a very prominent research path. An online PhD course is much more efficient for working professionals. As with the increasing feasibility and dependency on the internet, students are moving towards more online learning education and want to study in their comfort anywhere and anytime.
In online PhD education, students have to appear for the online assessment, complete the dissertation projects and work more on the research work papers. It focuses more on the practical implications of the course as it saves much time compared to the full-time PhD course.
University tuition for virtual PhD programs is about INR 22,000 per subject. Furthermore, numerous academic institutions charge INR 73,000 per student.
PhD Admission 2023
Admission to PhD courses has started at many leading PhD institutes in India, including IIT-K, IIM-A & more. Entrance exams such as GPAT, NET, and others may be required; however, some universities admit doctoral students based solely on qualifications and individual interviews.
Trending Online Courses in India 2023
|Online BA||Online MA|
|Online BBA||Online MBA|
|Online BCA||Online MCA|
|Online BSC||Online MCOM|
|Online BCOM||Online Diploma|
To be able to enrol in the PhD program for the academic year 2023, students must have a total of 50% equivalent grade or comparable grade point average rating in their master’s program. Also, students need to appear for an interview or formative assessments; institutes prepare merit lists after several rounds.
PhD Admission Process 2023
Admission to numerous IIT and IIM colleges in India is now accessible. Students interested in pursuing a Doctor of Philosophy in Management at one of India’s IIMs should sign up by January 2023. Numerous IITs in India accept applications for Routine Doctor of philosophy, Exterior Doctorate, Direct, and Section PhD initiatives, including IIT Ropar, which has an application deadline of November of every year.
- Acceptance to Doctoral programs is merit-based and an entry test assessment procedure. The enrolment for both classes, as well as the fundamental entry requirements, is described below.
- PhD Course admittance to leading universities is on a performance basis.
- The academy could request that applicants offer an overview of their proposed study for this purpose.
- This is completed primarily to analyze the applicants, and the successful applicants are alerted at the final step.
- In addition, the applicants must satisfy the minimum enrolment requirement of 50 to 55% in the Post-graduate class.
- Institutional and national entry point exams are held to acknowledge PhD programs.
- For enrolment in Doctoral programs, a few universities sometimes hold individual interviews in addition to admission tests.
PhD Eligibility Criteria
Students who are seeking admission to the PhD course must fulfill the institution’s eligibility requirements. There are different eligibility requirements for this course that vary from university to university. Below, students can take a look and know whether they are eligible or not.
- To opt PhD courses, students must have completed a postgraduate degree.
- Applicants should have a minimum of 50% to 55% of their PG instructional points or test scores from a reputed institute.
- Aspirants with relevant experience in research are valued highly by academic institutions.
PhD Entrance Exam 2023
PhD admittance is based on enrolment in several institutions, and academic institutions respect the result of a nationwide or university entry exam. The details about some important PhD entrance exams are given:
- UGC NET: UGC NET exam is a national-level exam conducted by the UGC for PhD admission, and students who clear their exam get the opportunity to pursue a PhD course at a recognized institution. This exam is conducted by the NA at the national level and is considered the criteria for admission by multiple institutions.
- VIT MEE: The Vellore Institute of Technology Master’s Entrance Examination (VITMEE) is an educational establishment aptitude test for admittance to integrated PhD courses and other PG programs such as M-Tech and MCA. The Vellore Institute of Science and Technology is held once a year and is primarily for enrollment in VIT establishments. The time allotted to students is 2 hours, and the exam mode is online.
- GPAT: Graduate Pharmacy Aptitude Test or GPAT is an annual nationwide aptitude test for enrolment to masters in Pharmacy and other comparable coursework such as Incorporated PhD. The National Testing Agency administers the GPAT (NTA). This test is given entirely web-based, and the assessment lasts 180 minutes and is worth 500 points.
Best PhD Colleges In India
|S.NO||Top colleges for PhD|
Manipal Institute of Technology, Manipal
|5||University of Calcutta|
Amrita University, Coimbatore
|10||Aligarh Muslim University|
PhD Entrance Exam Syllabus
The syllabus for PhD admission test includes topics from 12th class, bachelor’s, and master’s degree levels, such as general aptitude, sciences, mathematics, life sciences, and technology.
PhD Course Syllabus
Each PhD field and thread has its own topics and themes in the Doctorate Curriculum. With a strong emphasis on academic concepts, the Ph.D. Curriculum topics focus on investigations and relevant applications of the topic. The syllabus covers required courses and electives, as well as research tasks and scientific studies, which are presented after the Doctorate class ends.
Generally, the curriculum lasts three years, but it can take up to six years to complete. Doctorate programs are determined by the universities and colleges that can provide the classes. Among the areas of study available to students are science, arts, commerce, technology, etc.
PhD After BTech
Students can choose PhD degree after completing their master’s in relevant subjects. BTech is an undergraduate degree of 4 years duration. Students need an MTech degree to pursue PhD in the relevant subject. Students can pursue full-time or part-time PhD according to their ease. An Integrated BTech degree provides a chance to pursue PhD courses.
Best PhD Colleges in Delhi
There are multiple academic colleges or universities in Delhi where PhD courses can be accomplished. Some recommended institutes are Jagan Institute of Management Studies, Indian Institute of Technology, Indian Institute of Foreign Trade, Faculty of Management Studies, Netaji Subhas Institute of Technology, etc. Among these top institutes, some are public, and some are private, so the fee range varies.
Top PhD Colleges in Mumbai
Mumbai is the choice of thousands of students for pursuing their higher education such as Doctor of Philosophy. Students can get admitted to various colleges in Mumbai for this purpose. However, IIT Bombay, ICT Mumbai, TISS Mumbai, MNLU Mumbai, DR. DY PatilUniversity, IIPS Mumbai, Amity University, TIFR Mumbai, IGIDR, Central Institute of Fisheries Education, and many other institutions are top PhD colleges in Mumbai.
PhD Colleges in Bangalore
Bangalore also has many colleges to pursue education at the PhD level. Among the all, some are Al-Ameen College of Pharmacy, IBS Business School, IBNM Institute of Technology, CMR Institute of Technology, Central University of Karnataka, Institute for Social and Economic Change, and Christ University Department of Tourism Studies. Students can visit the online webpage of these universities for application.
PhD Colleges in Hyderabad
In Hyderabad, students can find many academic institutes where they can take admission for PhD courses. There exist private and public institutes, and the tuition fee is thus varying. Few top PhD colleges in Hyderabad are IIT Hyderabad, University of Hyderabad, Manipal University, NLU Hyderabad, Osmania University, KIMS, MNIT, Maulana Azad National Urdu University Hyderabad, and soon.